I have had PLENTY of issues with sticking to diets and rules and detoxes, which you can read about here, but here’s 5 easy food rules that I always try to keep in mind in order to live my best (and healthiest!) life!
1. Water Always: I learned this lesson the hard way during my Freshman year of college as I was dealing with the worst hangover of my life. Let’s just say there was a LOT of tequila and not a lot of H20. Since then, my rule has always been that if I’m drinking any kind of alcohol, I have to balance that out with roughly 1/2 a glass of water per shot. This has extended further into my life too; I always try to drink two full bottles of water during the work day. And as much as I love coffee and tea and wine, I think water is still my favorite.
2. More Fruit: Every time I detox after a bad weekend of eating, I always ask myself “why the hell do I eat anything sweet besides fruit!?” Because ripe fruits really are that good! Find out what’s in season and buy that (right now, it’s berries!). Plus, your body will thank you for skipping the Sour Patch Kids.
3. Milk is a No: Let’s be real, cow’s milk is kind of gross. And I’m not talking about a little cream or butter or cheese. I’m talking about straight up, milk. Maybe it’s because I’ve been lactose intolerant my whole life, but I’ve never liked cow’s milk. The funny thing is, as soon as I tried almond milk, I was hooked. I love all kinds of dairy alternatives! And I always feel lighter after I drink them.
4. Absolutely No High Fructose Corn Syrup: This one comes straight from my mom, who never let us have anything that listed high fructose corn syrup in the ingredient list. Most sodas are full of this stuff, so soda was always a no (and still is!) for me. Cutting this out helps to ensure that you’re not overdosing on sugar.
5. Eat Your Greens!: I cannot stress this one enough. My diet mostly consists of fruits and veggies to begin with, but I physically start to crave leafy greens when I haven’t had them for a while! Your body can quickly pull the nutrients from things like spinach and kale, meaning that eating more greens increases your metabolism too!
Have some rules you love? Let me know!